Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Porn as Art

There are approximately one-bazillion-times-infinity porn images out there, and I would never imagine that I could actually see even one one-hundredth of what there is out there. What I can do, however, is highlight something that I like when I do see it -- and that's what today's post is about. For me, porn that is particularly artistic is porn that steps away from the everyday images and actions that we're used to seeing and introduces a new twist (or at least attempts to do so; read up on post-modernism if you're confused). In that spirit, I would like to present my favorite images found through Stumbler this morning, along with a little commentary on why I think they deserve notice.

We'll start things off with a little holiday flair - I love how this image connects to the mirror in Van Eyck's Wedding Portrait.


Images become more graphic after the jump, so consider yourself warned.
 This next image was too sweet to ignore -- I love how, despite being carefully positioned for maximum aesthetic impact, these women look natural and totally into one another - no rediculous nails or crazy makeup or editing. It feels like we are there in that moment with them, but not like they're putting on a show. 


From the same site, a portrait piece. I'm loving her natural hair texture, and how they've managed to make a really nice environment out of a fairly mediocre space (you see those cords in the top right hand corner?) Of course, the photographer is clearly talented at touching up their photographs - no one has skin like these women without a little Photoshop - but the core aesthetic here is natural, lovely beauty, and I think it's really working well.


An abstract piece. This one is almost too obvious for me to include, but I do love the lights and darks, and the fact that this is a contemporary photographer who can still do a damn good black and white.


An intentional contrast with these next two -- I appreciate the depth of field in the first one, and the choice to include her face without it being a display about her touching herself. Also, props for still having some hair down there!

The vulva-centric angle happens again in the second image, but this time it is an action shot taken from S&M -- and those are some very nice flog marks. They do a good job of telling a story through the image, and the motion shot of the skin expanding away from the point of impact is one of those incredibly beautiful things that the human eye is incapable of seeing on its own.


I always love me some Suicide Girls; this image is no exception. Technically, in my mind this would fall more in the commercial realm of art than than the fine art realm, but I will say that that is the best damn add for panties I have ever seen!


Another simple concept here - normally, I wouldn't find this image interesting (and the ribs are still a little scary for me), but the fact that she is licking herself, and not in the more common finger-stands-in-for-the-penis kind of way, strikes me a quite provocative and very sexy. I do wish the lighting had a bit more contrast to it, though.


I don't think I can begin to express how much I love that her ass actually has hair! That is to say, that you can see the hair, and I actually think the presence of the hair is one of the most sensuous things about this image. I'd love to learn what kind of editing process this photographer uses to maintain such anatomical detail.


Another contrast - night and day. In fact, the "night" shot is one of the few flash images I saw that really worked with the flash lighting - she's beautiful and her tan lines are beyond hot, but it's the highlight on her left breast and the shadows surrounding her that really take this into the artistic realm.

As for "day," it's another lovely natural look, with natural light and a gorgeous composition. I love how the curtain divides the picture frame and how she isn't in the dead center of the image.


Again, the important element of lighting - here seen in studio lighting with the use of a spotlight overhead. The drama caused the resulting chiaroscuro combined with the model's pose makes this a compelling image for me, and I want to both looking at model and understand her anguish. Another great use of storytelling in the image!


Bedore I started looking at porn, I had no idea there was such widespread obsession with closeup images of genitalia, and that plenty of that obsession manifests itself in pictures that (for me personally) are really quite gross. Thankfully, this image is not one of those. In fact, that is one of the most elegant vulva-anus shots I've ever seen, with an elegant finish and lighting that puts me in mind of a wedding photographer's work, more than anything else.


Another great shot with natural light. This image is so lovely I almost didn't notice there was a boob at all -- and I think that gets to one of the key questions I ask myself when considering whether a porn image is art. Would it still work if there wasn't anything sexual taking place? In this case, would there still be gorgeous lighting and a beautiful model and a good enough image that I could enjoy looking at it, even without the boob and the hint of cheek -- I think the answer's a definite yes.


A lot of these have been more "pin-up" shots than action images, and so I'm happy to present one from the later category. What's not to love here? The lights and darks are great, they're acting out their roles and looking good while doing it, and it's got a fun 1980's vibe that I'm totally digging.


This one is much more candid than any of the other shots, and I'm absolutely in love with how much fun the female performer appears to be having. Kink.com, for example, requires that every set of images of a scene include at least on image of the model(s) smiling, in order to convey that essentially, "no models were harmed during this shoot." But this is a much bigger smile than I'm used to seeing, and her enthusiasm is infectious. A very, very fun image.


At last we come to my favorite of the bunch, for a few reasons. Seeing this woman's body type, curvier than many in the porn industry, presented as 'sexy' is an incredible boost of self esteem to myself and other women who also don't conform to the rail-thin model image, and her pale skin and naturally full breasts are another great alternative beauty example. But of course, my number one reason for being in love with this image is her hair. Oh my goodness, her hair. A fantastic 's' curve, and a great dark point in the image to balance out all the light areas. I would absolutely hang this on my wall, in a second. In fact, just because I love it so much, I'll give it to you full-sized.


You're welcome.



Tune in Thursday to get a peek at a brand-spanking-new story Odessa is working on, and maybe a glimpse into what video's she's digging this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something sexy . . .